Monday, March 30, 2009

Whole wheat and flax pizza dough


This is from Eat, Shrink & Be Merry - a fantastic cookbook go check them out! The recipes are healthy and delicious and they share sample recipes on their website. I know this sounds a little too healthy for many tastes - but I promise it's good! Whenever we've shared this pizza with friends they always ask for the recipe! :) Maybe we just have healthy friends... but we really love this dough!

1 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 c. whole wheat flour
2 T ground flax meal (I am more generous with this - usually I more than double it)
2 1/4 t quick-rising yeast (which we actually never have - we just use the reg. kind)
1/2 t salt
2/3 c very warm water
2 t olive oil
2 t liquid honey
Olive oil cooking spray
1 T cornmeal

In med. bowl, combine flours, flax meal, yeast and salt. Mix well.
Measure warm water in measuring cup, then stir in olive oil and honey. (Use the same teaspoon measure - olive oil first, and the honey slips right off!). Pour into dry ingredients and mix until dough forms a ball. Turn out dough onto floured surface and knead 2 minutes. Spray another bowl with cooking spray, place dough inside and cover with sprayed plastic wrap - let rise until double. ~20 min. Spray pizza pan with oil and dust with cornmeal.
Roll dough into 12" circle, place on pizza pan. Top and bake at 425F for 15 min. Or prick crust with fork and bake untopped for 6 min - top and bake an additional 8 to 10 min. (I always pre-bake mine).

With young kids I think one pizza would serve a family of 4-6. An adult should be satisfied with 2 pieces (I cut the pizza into 8) - it's heartier than the pizza you're used to. And if they're not satisfied... PORTION CONTROL. Go eat a salad and an apple. ;)

Notes: The pizza in the pictures has a few special additions that I sometimes like to include. First I made it a "Stuffed Crust" pizza. I take mozzarella sticks and cut them in half to make two shorter cylinders. Then I split each one down the center lengthwise (so the cross-sections are now half-circles). I lay these out on the edge of my rolled out pizza dough and then tuck the dough around the cheese - pressing firmly to seal so the cheese doesn't all leak out. Look at the first picture to see what the pizza looks like after this step.

I also took an idea from Dominos and brushed the outside with a mixture of olive oil and Costco's garlic bread seasoning. I was planning on using garlic salt and oil, but the I grabbed the other seasoning first and it was delicious. You could use oil or melted butter/margarine mixed with any seasoning you like (Italian, oregano, basil, parmesan, etc.)

FREEZER MEAL: Since you are taking the time to make this dough - make more! I make four at once (my KitchenAid handles this easily) and usually make one or two for one meal (depends on how many side dishes I've planned and how hungry we are) and freeze the rest. I cut the dough into four equal pieces (making sure they are equal by using my scale) and take what I'm not using and place it in a freezer bag for the next week. I've exploded plastic freezer bags doing this - so make sure to leave room for the dough to expand!
If you can get a hold of those cardboard circles that frozen pizzas are packaged on you can also use them to freeze pizza dough that has already been rolled into a circle saving you an extra step come meal time. Just roll the dough out, place it on the cardboard and wrap with plastic wrap and foil. And the cardboard rounds are re-usable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails