Sunday, February 28, 2010

Quiche

Absolutely one of my favorite dishes! I usually make it when I've made veggies and had leftovers sitting in the fridge for a couple of days that need to be used up.

Of course there are more traditional quiche recipes - quiche Lorraine or a yummy spinach quiche - I love them all! When I make one of those quiches I use the recipes from my Better Homes and Gardens cook book with great success! I actually combined those traditional recipes to make this quiche. I love that I have a yummy way to get some more veggies in our diet and use up the leftovers in the fridge.

1 single pie crust (here is a good quick one - I use it often for quiche when I don't really care about getting the perfect flaky crust. I use my food processor and overmix to my heart's content. If I have a recipe where the crust takes a more prominent roll in the dish I use another recipe that takes a bit more prep)
6 beaten eggs (4 is OK too - especially if you have more veggies and don't want your filling to spill over with the increased volume)
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup milk
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp white pepper
dash ground nutmeg
1 cup cooked veggies
2 tsp dried onion flakes
1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 Tb all-purpose flour

Line unpricked pastry shell with double thickness of foil and bake at 450F for 8 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 4-5 minutes until pastry is dry. Remove from oven. Reduce oven temp to 325F.

Whisk together eggs, milk and sour cream till well combined. Add rest of ingredients and mix well. I always cover the crust to prevent over-browning. Pour filling into hot pastry shell and bake until done. Check at 40 minutes, could take up to an hour.

Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails