Saturday, February 6, 2010

Chocolate Pudding

3 cups milk (see note)
1/3 cup cornstarch
1/3 c unsweetened cocoa or carob powder
2/3 cup sugar
Good dash salt
3 tablespoons margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla

In a two quart sauce pan combine the cornstarch, cocoa, sugar and salt. Mix it very well. Gradually add the milk, whisking it in until the mixture is smooth. Heat the pan over medium heat, stirring constantly. Bring the pudding to a full rolling boil. Boil and stir for one minute. Remove from heat. Stir in the margarine and vanilla. The pudding will thicken as it cools. You can pour the pudding into a pretty serving dish, or small individual cups. I pour it into small individual cups with lids and send it in the children’s lunch boxes. Store it in the fridge either way. Makes 6 servings.

Note: Feel free to use powdered milk! I mix my dry milk in with the other dry ingredients and then add the appropriate amount of water. For 3 cups of milk I use 9 Tbs (1/2 cup plus 1 Tb) of non-instant powdered milk (this is the kind you buy at the LDS Cannery and the kind I use). If you are buying your dry milk from the grocery store follow the directions on the box.

I frequently forget to add the margarine and it still is delicious!

For another variation - I sometimes use Magic Mix to make pudding. If you follow the link you will find the recipe I use. I recently found another Magic Mix recipe from Washington State University that doesn't involve any fat that I'm going to try. It uses corn starch to thicken the sauce and since I use that trick myself to cut fat I'm eager to see how it goes!

2 comments:

  1. Non-instant milk? How is it "non-instant"? I'm gonna have to check out this cannery! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lori - do check it out! Currently the price for a #10 can is $1.28 per gallon for milk (it just went up - boo!). You can find a great primer on milk here that explains the difference.
    http://everydayfoodstorage.net/training-cooking/powdered-milk

    In WA there are canneries (Bishops Storehouses) in Kent, Mukilteo, Bremerton, Kennewick, Mt. Vernon, and Spokane.
    Here is the site for addresses and phone #s.
    http://www.providentliving.org/location/display/1,12568,2026-1-4-39315,00.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails