Thursday, November 26, 2009

Pie Crust

This is an easy crust that I've used when I need a quick crust for quiche or pie.

2 c all-purpose flour
1 t salt
1 c shortening (I use margarine as well)
1/2 cold water

Combine flour and salt. (Easy on the dough setting of my Cuisinart - just pulse till mixed). Cut in shortening - or just pulse again after adding your shortening or margarine. It will mix best if you cut it into smaller pieces as you add it to the mixing bowl. Add the water and mix just until combined. Keeping the fat pieces intact in your dough (not completely pulverized) will hold up your pastry layers and make a flaky crust. If you overmix you will lose that. The crust won't be bad, just not as flaky. Divide dough into half, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate. Four hours is ideal but I've often just put it in for the 1/2 hour or so that it took to mix up my filling.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails