Monday, April 5, 2010

Cheese Enchiladas

This recipe comes from Spark People's recipe site sparkrecipes.com.

I quadrupled the recipe so I could use the whole container of ricotta.  I bagged the rest and froze three additional meals for later.  I placed the sauce, olives and cheese mixture in three separate baggies (quart and snack-size) and then placed all three baggies in one gallon bag so the whole meal was together.  

Sorry about the picture.  We had almost finished eating before I remembered to take a picture!  So here is my son's plate - sour cream and all!

I served this with the Hillbilly Housewife's Taco Rice.  Scrumptious!  I loved this meal!

No Guilt Cheese Enchiladas

12 8-inch Corn Tortillas
1 cup shredded Mexican four cheese blend
1/2 cup fat-free cottage cheese
3/4 cup chopped white onions
1/2 cup part-skim ricotta
1 can (19 ounces) enchilada sauce
2 Tbsp diced green chilies
3 Tbsp sliced black olives

Pour the enchilada sauce in a skillet and heat. Or make your own - check out the link above!  Dip each tortilla in the hot sauce, coating each side, for a few seconds. Shake off and place on microwavable platter, 3 or 4 at a time, making sure that they do not overlap. Microwave for 20-40 seconds, until soft. (Time will vary according to your microwave oven.) Set aside to cool. I skipped the microwaving and just dipped the tortillas in the skillet that I made my enchilada sauce in.

In a bowl, mix 3/4 cup finely chopped onion (about 1/2 a large onion) I used rehydrated dry onion, ricotta, cottage cheese, green chiles (mild or hot, to taste), and salt and pepper to taste. Add half the shredded cheese (1/2 cup.) Mix with fork until ingredients are blended.

Spray a rectangular casserole dish with non-stick spray.
Place approximately 1/12th of the cheese mixture (about 1/4 cup) on a tortilla and loosely roll. Place seam side down in casserole dish. Repeat until all tortillas are filled. I did this dish as a casserole to save on mess and time.  I placed a layer of dipped tortillas on the bottom of the pan, topped with spoonfulls of the cheese mixture (about 2 1/4 cups total) and topped with more dipped tortillas.  Spread remaining enchilada sauce evenly over the enchiladas.

Bake for 15 minutes in an oven preheated to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. After 15 minutes, remove and evenly spread the remaining cheese and the black olives on top. Return to oven for 10 more minutes.

Serve hot.

Number of Servings: 6

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails