Monday, April 11, 2011

Swedish Apple Pie

This pie is delicious and a wonderful dessert to make when you are craving some apple pie but don't have the time to make a crust.  However, please don't think it's some sort of second-rate apple pie in a pinch.  It's so tasty I make it even when I *do* have the time for an old fashioned apple pie.  It's in a class all by itself.  :)  Oh my gravy it's good!

5-6 medium apples, sliced
 OR use your apple slices from your food storage (I buy mine in bulk from the LDS Home Storage Center, everyone is welcome - find one near you here)
I use 2.5 - 3 cups dried apples, rehydrate for 5 minutes in 4 cups boiling water - drain excess

1 T sugar
1 T cinnamon
3/4 cup melted butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup flour
1 egg
1/2 cup chopped nuts
small splash of vanilla

Fill pie plate 2/3 full of apples.  Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.  In a medium bowl, stir the rest of the ingredients until combined.  Pour over apples.  Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes or until lightly browned.

Food Storage:  I *always* make this with my dehydrated apples so everything in the recipe comes from items I have on hand.  Remember you can substitute shortening for butter or margarine, and use your powdered eggs and then all the ingredients are shelf stable.   A fresh tasting dessert without much effort and no runs to the store for ingredients!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails